The Lord is up to many good things here at the Gateway Rescue Mission and it is an honor to be allowed to participate in the carrying out of His purpose and plan for the needy in the downtown area. Whether it´s feeding the homeless, helping to put clothes on their body, mentoring a man or a woman in our program or reaching out to the community through our Thrift Stores, God´s self-portrait is in everything I see. What makes my joy complete is the knowledge that I am not alone in all of this. The fact that you are reading this right now points to the reality that God is doing something wonderful in you too at this very moment. He´s painting that same self-portrait in your heart and it is a wonderful sight to see.
There is no doubt that it is what has led you to this section of our website. Come and be a part of His works at the Gateway Rescue Mission. It will truly be a springboard for your walk with Christ and a chance for God to work through you as he leads you into His harvest in the heart of downtown Jackson.
Here are several ways to get involved: Please note that Volunteer Groups must be set up with me over the phone
- Gateway’s Feeding Program – Gateway’s kitchen serves breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week, 365 days a year. Volunteers are welcome to sign up to serve during either our lunch or dinner feedings. Must be twelve years of age and accompanied by an adult if under eighteen. The maximum number of volunteers allowed in the kitchen is seven. Our meal times are as follows:
- Lunch – 11:15-12:30 pm seven days a week.
- Dinner – 4:20-5:30 pm seven days a week.
- Gateway Rescue Mission Evening Chapel Service – Our Mission has chapel services from 6:30-7:30 pm Monday through Thursday. Volunteer groups are allowed to come and lead the worship during these times. An interview is required for the volunteer leading chapel before a schedule can be approved. This may be a one-time event or a long term commitment. Positions are available for both our Jackson chapel and New Life Center located in Magee, Ms.
- Women Services Mentor – a Female spiritual guide for current ladies in the Transitional Program. Must be willing to commit to mentoring a lady through Transitional and 6 months after graduating from the program. In-person interview(s) with the Director of Women’s Services and Director of Operations is required before approval to mentor is given. Female inquires only.
- Women Services Monthly Life Skills Volunteer (Individual or Group) – Facilitate classes during a set time in the evening for one hour. Classes can be as diverse as the facilitator(s) is/are led by the Holy Spirit but must remain Bible-centered. Life Skills classes are offered Monday – Saturday. Commitment to one class per month for one year is desired. Interview required.
If you have any questions about any of the above-listed items please feel free to call me and we can discuss them at length. God bless you and have a great day!
Rusty Ryan, Director of Volunteer Services